How Can We Help You?
Looking for gardening advice? Have a pest problem? Wondering which plants are drought resistant? You’ve come to the right place! Follow the menus to helpful information about gardening in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito Counties. Ahora también tenemos recursos en español.
What's New From The UC Blogs
Added November 29, 2015
When entomologist Diane Ulman, professor of entomology at the University of California, Davis, and self-described rock artist Donna Billick of Davis co-founded the UC Davis Art/Science Fusion Program, one of the many outcomes is LASER. That's an...
Added November 27, 2015
"Fourteen" is a lucky number at the Berkeley Aquatic Park, 80 Bolivar Drive, Berkeley. Fourteen is considered a day of love and romance, as in the 14th of February, Valentine's Day. But at the Berkeley Aquatic Park, it's also love. Love at first...
Added November 26, 2015
When material possessions tear at the very fabric of our lives, it's time to re-weave and re-think. “Gimme more, gimme more, gimme more!” seems to be the mantra of the rich and famous and the faux rich and famous. From my perspective: It's...
Added November 25, 2015
Thanksgiving is a time to gather together with family and friends. The occasion is usually centered around a big meal followed by pumpkin pie, and hopefully some time to let each person share a list of what they are most grateful for that year. Here at...
Master Gardener Public Events
Visit The Plant Doctor
Fall Garden Tips
1. Plant or transplant. Soil is still warm enough to get roots established quickly, and rain will keep plants hydrated.
2. Protect steep slopes. Consider cover crops, native plants and/or jute netting to prevent erosion.
3. Add organic matter. Top dress soil with compost or aged manure for dramatically healthier plants in the Spring.
4. Consider rain water catchment. Creating a sustainable, water neutral irrigation system will help get through dry periods.
5. Dial back irrigation. Irrigation controllers should changed with the seasons. Better yet, consider a "smart" irrigation controller that automatically adjusts for rain, temperature, soil and plant conditions.