How Can We Help You?
Looking for gardening advice? Have a pest problem? Wondering which plants are drought resistant? You’ve come to the right place! Follow the menus to helpful information about gardening in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito Counties. Ahora también tenemos recursos en español.
Added July 29, 2015
It suits them to a "T." And the "T" is for Tithonia. Many species of butterflies frequent our Tithonia, also known as Mexican sunflower. Like its name implies, it's a member of the sunflower family, Asteraceae. On any given Sunday--not to...
Added July 29, 2015
Four years of drought has left California with acres of dry brush and dying trees, abundant fuel for wildfires. Currently, CalFIRE's fire map shows several major fires burning in California. “There are two factors that help fires spread - winds...
Added July 28, 2015
County fairs are filled with fun, food and festivities. They're meant to educate, inform and entertain. What we've always loved about the county fairs: the incredible exhibits. Especially exhibits dealing with photographs and paintings of insects. When...
Added July 27, 2015
There is such a thing as a free lunch. And a free breakfast. And a free dinner. And a free snack. That is, if you're a freeloader fly. If you've ever watched a spider snare a bee or other insect in its web, and wrap it like a fit-to-be-tied...
Master Gardener Public Events
Watering Conservation Tips
1. Check Soil Moisture First. If soil is dry 1-2 inches below surface it's time to water.
2. Water Deeply. Encourage deep roots that require less frequent watering.
3. Get Up Early. Calm, cool morning air results in less evaporation loss.
4. Trash the Sprinkler. Area sprinklers are vicious water wasters and encourage disease.
5. Buy the Right Equipment. Use a squeeze handle watering wand with variable spray options.
6. Go Old-School. Watering cans effectively target individual plants.
7. Turn Off the Faucet. Use recycled water from sinks and showers for some of your watering.
Excerpted from Bill Strubbe
Urban Farm Online, June, 2015